Sunday, July 18, 2010

The summer heat and working dogs

I know you are NOT supposed to touch, pet or otherwise interfere with a seeing eye dog while his/her harness is attached. What about offering the owner water for the dog? I was on the train the other day and a woman entered with her dog. The dog did not seem to want to sit/lay down (actually, I wouldn't want to touch the floor of an L train either) but when it finally lay down, it was obvious the dog was hot. It was panting frantically. I had an empty container after bringing a salad to work and a bottle of water in my bag. I was across the aisle so I could not lean in and ask. Was I wrong to not ask her if she would have liked a bowl of water for her dog? When I exited the train, I encountered a man waiting at the bus stop with his dog. Should I have stopped and offered his dog a drink? I don't know what the protocol is and I did not want to offend anyone, but it was hotter the hell outside and the dogs just seemed to want or need a drink.

3 comments:

Becky said...

you can always ask-the person will feel free to say no thanks.
"Your dog seems really thirsty-would he/she like some water? I have some here." will get you either a thanks or a no thanks. I bet those dogs walk past the inviting bowls of water some shops put out just wishing they could stop.

SnarkAngel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SnarkAngel said...

Better to offend than allow an innocent animal to dehydrate. With a seeing eye dog, it may be more difficult for the owner to recognize signs of dehydration. If anyone else says no to you, tell them they should not be pet owners because they are obviously incapable of recognizing whether their so-called "beloved" pet is dehydrating or not.