Tuesday, December 2, 2008

WOW, or it sucks to be me today...

For anyone who has not read the comments posted by my sister to the Thanksgiving day massacree, in 4 part harmony, it is worth the read. Apparently, no one besides my family has ever met the real me and the real me is a doozy.

So, after you read the hate mail, come on back and we can finish this post. I was not surprised to read the counter point to the whole turkey day thing. If I was warm, inside and enjoying a meal with family and friends it would have felt as mere minutes. But, being outside, cold and stalked by a homeless guy, it felt like hours. It is over with so we are back to the present, but I still cannot help but feel I must now defend myself on my own blog.

I decided, a quick list of the horribly selfish things I have done for family was in order to prove my sister right, that it was always, only, ever about me.

Everyone in my family has called me for free legal advice and I have never refused. I have referred them to local experts, when the need arose, but I never refused to answer their questions. In some cases, I have spent hours doing the research or making the calls necessary to get their answers.

When my older brother's son was in a horrible accident, I volunteered to help out. Because his wife does NOT like me, I then volunteered to keep an eye on my dad, who had medical issues at the time, so my mom could fly out and help.

When the family was concerned about my other brother's wife, I flew out there and spent a week during the holidays to help out and make sure things were ok.

I flew with my parents to visit my brother's family when he was promoted because my mother had just had surgery and my father had only very recently been diagnosed with RA. I went with so my parents could go because my mother stated she couldn't do it alone.

When my sister broke her leg, I drove her around so she could outfit her shower with a stool and get food for her fridge. As a traveling sales person, her shelves were bare. Also, I was able to take her to various appointments. That she had recently called me a total loser for being unemployed didn't make me think for a second about saying no. She asked for my help and I gave it. YES, she bought me lunch and coffee, and I was thankful, but I would have done the same for anyone.

So, maybe I am a horrible person, but I don't set out to say things just to hurt people. I am not using my "cancer license" to spew venom, I am simply stating how I feel. It hurt that my sister would even imply that the family thought I was lying about even being at the train station. My entire train ride home was spent sobbing.

2 comments:

SnarkAngel said...

But on Saturday, we made up for it by having a tremendous Thanksgiving ... and you spent it with friends ... who understand where you are coming from.

Just Catie said...

Yes I did and it was wonderful.