Friday, December 4, 2009

I did not know...

On Monday, Dr. Murdock, my GP, took one look at my bloodwork and had a cow. My white and hemoglobin are within "normal" range, although my hemoglobin went down again, but my cholesteral was through the roof. It has always been a bit high, but this was off the charts. I received a 20 minute lecture on not eating right, during which time I swore up and down my diet had not changed and I was back on fruits and veggies. I went home questioning every bite I ate over the past 6 months.

Yesterday, in a weird twist of fate, I stumbled across an article which said that estrogen is, in part, responsible for regulating cholestral in women and that women in prime fertility years tend to have the lowest cholestral ratings in women. When the estrogen goes down, as in menopause or anti-hormone therapy, the cholesteral levels tend to shoot up. Also, my blood pressure meds may be contributing to it as well. Who knew???

1 comment:

SnarkAngel said...

I think, sometimes, we laymen of medicine figure things out before our so-called doctors do. With the internet, so much information is available to anyone and everyone with the click of the mouse. The key is to get the information verified, especially when your health is the concern. While your cholesterol may be high, I am soooooooooo glad to hear your other blood counts are in the normal range. Very good news, indeed! XOXOXO