Saturday, January 2, 2010

The technology ledge and the little things

I started my day yesterday by stepping back off the crackberry ledge and pulling my head out of my butt. For anyone who knows me well, and loves me anyways, they know I am not allowed to buy technology without adult supervision. Ian needed a new phone because his was broken. I wanted a new phone so I could access my email when I am out and about because the temp world is getting over crowded and I need to be able to respond to job offers much more quickly then I could in the past.

I started with the idea in mind that I needed a phone without a camera. Cameras are not allowed in the courtroom but I quickly realized I may be the only lawyer on the planet actually paying attention to that rule. Also, if I am at a courthouse that won't let my phone in, I drove there and I can leave it in the car. I was talked into buying a crackberry with the understanding that I could do so many things I would soon be addicted.

Wrong answer keebler! Giving me a crackberry was the equivalent of giving a newly licensed driver the keys to a semi truck and telling them to figure it out. I knew I was in wayyyyy over my head the second I left that store. Long story short, I spent hours trying to figure it out and only managed to figure out that I needed a different phone. I have a new phone with bells and whistles and I am figuring it out much faster then I had hoped. I even figured out how to download an app for that, if only I could figure out how to launch the app.

Yesterday, after straightening up the cell phone debacle in a record 1.5 hours (I brought the guy at the store a hot cocoa from Starbucks and told him to settle in for a long and bumpy ride), I picked up a few things at the store and settled in for a long veg on the couch. I came to realize that for the new year I was truly grateful for the little things and the people that do them. Just a few things that came to mind were:

My roommate cleaning the house and emptying the dishwasher for me when I was too busy between work and Ian.
Nikka for letting me use her car to accomplish things I need to go someplace to get it done.
Becky for showing me that you can rough chop your veggies for a soup and then make it creamy by simply putting it in the food processor instead of fine chopping the veggies and adding cream.
My brother Tom for giving even when he may not be able to afford it.
My dear friend Robert for being willing to take a spare set of keys (that came in uber handy when Ian took my set home to Texas).
My friend JW texting or calling out of the blue just to check up on me, although the texts may come early and I still have trouble turning off the text notification.
Ian for telling me that no matter what crap his dad says about me, he won't believe it.

Stuff like this may seem small but means the world to me.

1 comment:

SnarkAngel said...

Always happy to be part of the "small things" that make a difference, my dear! XOXO