Sunday, April 18, 2010

Dude, we need to chat!

The other day I wanted to borrow a friend's car, so, the trade-off is that I give her a ride to/from work. After dropping her off, I planned to visit Trader Joe's to pick up liquor boxes (perfect for books sillies!) and decided that the one at North and Sheffield(ish) was perfect. There is an uber tiny, sorta grungy strip mall at the corner that houses a Starbucks and an NYC Bagel Co., so I figured lox and bagels and coffee OH MY! The tiny strip mall has only about 12 parking spaces and the queen of parking was able to score the only space available. Even engrossed in my own thoughts of bagels and cream cheese, I could not help but notice the well dressed gentleman, in a car about 3 cars down, with a young assistant type standing near by. The well dressed gentleman seemed to be digging around in his files for something. The young assistant type just stood there as this man continued to dig through files, a briefcase and then the back seat of the car. When the hunt continued to the trunk, I was beginning to chuckle.

The entire time I was watching this show, I kept thinking I know this guy from somewhere. At first I thought he might be a lawyer that I had seen in court or who had a television ad. I just kept thinking that I know this guy from somewhere. In the course of the minute or so I had been watching the floor show, I finally noticed the guy with the earpiece. He was one of those well dressed, dark suit, wearing an ear piece mike, kinda guys. All I could think was that this attorney, or whoever he was, had to be either "somebody" or he was paranoid about getting shot. The security guy just kept watching this whole thing with a look on his face that said, "Really?"

If it wasn't suck a dinky, borderline crappy, middle of the street almost kinda place, I don't think I would have noticed. I kept thinking this guy could at least have pulled into the lot at Whole Foods down the street a bit and did this in a back corner. I finally tired of the show and went for my lox and bagels and coffee OH MY.

After an uber fabulous breakfast, I left Starbucks. On my way back to the car I passed two gentlemen, also rather nicely turned out, sitting outside the bagel place chuckling about the idiot and the floor show. I could not help but ask them who the guy was. I knew I knew the guy but could not place him.

It was at that moment that both gentlemen informed me that the well dressed gentleman who was digging through his files in his car like an idiot was our own Governor Pat Quinn.