Tuesday, April 6, 2010

OMG the shower!

I have an uber fabulous friend who comes to town for business now and then and who gets a hotel room in downtown Chicago. If I am working, it makes my commute 5 minutes via a $5 cab ride instead of 60 minutes for $2.25. You do the math! Recently, my uber fabulous friend booked a room for herself and her husband and child for the weekend at the new Trump hotel in Chicago. I have no use for the man myself, and he totally pissed in the political pot in Chicago by screwing people looking to invest in condos, but when offered an opportunity to stay at his hotel for free, I jumped at the chance. Because the husband had to leave a night early, I was asked to join my friend for an evening at the Trump hotel.

The lobby is sparse and it seems the only colors in the whole joint are shades of brown and white/cream with a bit of green thrown in every great once in a while for contrast. Everything is leather, glass or chrome. Not my style, but it looks simple, and some would say elegant. The rooms were nicer then your average hotel room and there was not a snack you could think of missing from the minibar area. If you don't mind paying $12 for 4 peanuts and $25 for bottled water with bling on it, you will be in heaven. They also give you bottles of just plain old Trump water gratis.

The one thing that horrified and literally pained me was the comfort level of the pull-out couch. Because I have traveled with teen-aged children and large groups,I have spent my fare share of time on fold-out couches. My own such beast, while uncomfy to sit on, is very comfy to sleep on. The fold-out couch at the Trump hotel was hands down the most uncomfortable thing I have ever slept on, including the bunk beds at camp. I guess they figure if you won't pay for a second room, there is absolutely no reason to even pretend they want you to be comfortable.

My friend had informed me that in the 2 days she had already been in the hotel, she had managed to take 3 showers. Upon entering her hotel room, I was immediately in lust with the bathroom. Marble, sunken tub, rain forest type shower head, TV in the mirror, subdued lighting that dimmed, thick towels, bathrobes, slippers, you get the idea. My friend went on to inform me that she had not bothered to take a shower in the room because she had opted to go to the spa instead.

OMG the spa! If you stay at the hotel, you are welcome to use the spa facilities gratis to include the pool, sauna, steam room, gym, and THE SHOWER EXPERIENCE. We splashed in the pool for just a few minutes and then headed to the spa. I started with the sauna while my friend had, "the shower experience". She had oohed and ahhed and gushed about the shower, but I was not quite convinced that I would need to become Trump rich to get one of these things installed in my house. And then, I entered. I entered into a world of pure shower joy! It was better then sex, more relaxing then a massage and more enjoyable then a hot fudge sunday! The shower heads from the ceiling give you the rain forest shower effect and the jets in the wall deliver a pulsing shower massage type experience that would make you deny your own mother! The lights change colors, the temperature rises and falls to heat and then cool you and the pulsing shower just makes you feel better.

Following what had to be about 15 minutes of pure guilt driven pleasure, I was able to make my own salt scrub/lotion/oil blend to take into the regular shower where I was able to give myself a good scrub and shampoo my hair. As I sat in my fluffy robe and comfy slippers, I thought to myself, "Self, you gotta get you one of these and you will never have to look for anything else again to be happy."

1 comment:

SnarkAngel said...

Glad you had such a FABULOUS experience, my dear ... even if it was courtesy of the Donald. LOL.