Friday, April 23, 2010

PIGEONS!

If there is anything that truly disturbs Miss Kitty, it is pigeons. She is skittish around bugs and only things she is "hunting" the squirrels on the window ledge, they have come to mostly ignore her when they are eating peanuts, but pigeons seem to bring her into full blown panic mode. When she sees the pigeons down on the street, she makes weird little chirping noises to indicate she is seeing what is truly a freakishly large flying creature. It is unnaturally large to be a common bird and the big ones are almost as big as Miss Kitty.

Imagine the horror the other day when one landed on the same window ledge that houses the peanuts for the occasional squirrel! The other evening I walked into the kitchen to find her on the window ledge overlooking the back porch. The back porch is an enclosed space that currently resembles a garbage dump...LOL...as I am in the process of packing and that is where I am keeping extra boxes, etc. Miss Kitty has never shown any interest in sitting on the ledge that overlooks the back porch, so her chirping got my attention. Sure enough, there was a pigeon on the back porch! Apparently it flew in the hole in the plastic sheets covering the top half of the porch. So, after a few minutes of laughing, arm flapping and giggling, I was able to open the small window and steer the bird out. Poor Miss Kitty spent most of the evening perched on the ledge making sure there was not another attack.

The next morning, I found her back on the sill, chirping excitedly. Abandoning my coffee, I KNOW! right?!, I headed out back and sure enough, there was another of those flying rats sitting on top of the freezer like it was a perfectly natural place to be. Again, arm flapping, laughing, repeat and rinse. No sooner had I closed the door then Miss Kitty was back to chirping again. Really? I told her the bird was gone but she insisted it was back. Sure enough, yet another bird had flown in. I swear this one waited in the wings. So, three birds later, the porch was clear of the things and I forgot both my coffee and meds before running out the door to catch a ride to work.

So, I found some duct tape and my nephew was kind enough to climb up and tape the hole shut. Poor Miss Kitty cannot handle that much excitement! She is aware that we are likely moving again, but I think she is just pretending otherwise and living in a state of blissful denial. Like mother, like cat.

1 comment:

SnarkAngel said...

I can just picture poor Miss Kitty doing everything you described! I love it when cats make that crazy "chattering" noise. LOL. And thanks again, Love, for the lovely theater tickets. The show was fabulous!