Thursday, June 4, 2009

Dr. McCreepy & The wound

Totally unrelated topics, but I was posting, so hey, deal with it!

For anyone unfamiliar, I call the radiologist Dr. McCreepy. This man gives me the total heebie jeebies and creeps me out to no end. He seems obsessed with seeing and feeling my tits, both before and after surgery. He has never given me the break down of why I should or should not do radiation and never explained to me why I needed radiation after I had elected to do chemo. Every time I see the guy I walk away feeling like I need a shower. Amy can attest, the guy is a total ewwwww fest. It has nothing to do with the fact the guy is in a wheel chair, but the fact he seems to rarely wash his hands makes it worse.

After I told Dr. B (my oncologist) that I didn't see the need for radiation, she set me up with yet another consult with the radiologist. When I explained my theory about the fact that the site of the lump had been further cleaned out with the reduction surgery and therefore I saw no need to radiate that non-exist ant site, he simply said I was 25% more likely to get breast cancer again if we didn't radiate. I told him I was not up to another 5 weeks of radiation so my answer was no. He asked to exam me to check my lungs and heart and proceeded to stick his stethoscope under my bra. When he told me to loosen up my bra so he could see my breasts and, "see what he was going to be working with," I jumped off the table and told him my answer was no to radiation so there was no need to see my tits.

I had a follow-up appointment with Dr. B yesterday and informed her that if my choice was to have radiation with Dr. McCreepy or not have it at all, I would rather do without then go back. I explained the radiologist made me VERY uncomfortable, without going into details, and she said she would work on getting me a different doctor. The problem at the VA hospital is that they almost never get a case of breast cancer so there are few options for "experienced" docs. My guess is McCreepy has no real experience either and isn't getting any at home!

While they were unpacking and repacking the wound on my chest from the removal of the port, the nurse explained that because of the chemo, it may take months and months to heal. That means months and months of potentially no showers......REALLY??!!

1 comment:

SnarkAngel said...

"No showers" I could potentially deal with. Granted, it makes the bathing process rather laborious, but it sounds like that would be a breeze compared to the heebie jeebies cast about by Dr. McCreepy!