Thursday, March 26, 2009

OMG it is just a freakin shower!!! Really??

When they installed (and that is about what they did) the porta cath on Monday, March 16, they told me not to shower for what I recall as about 3 weeks. When I went in for my first dose of chemo on Thursday, March 19, and I begged them to take the tape off the incision in my neck and chest, I was told not to take them off. Becky says I asked repeatedly about when I could take a shower and then told me, repeatedly, that I could NOT shower until Monday, March 23. FINE!!

So, being told to cover the bandages with a plastic baggie and tape for my first shower on Monday, I proceeded into the bathroom and my supply closet for wound care. I have become quite the expert as to the topic of wound care and have quite the stash of supplies. Armed with one quart size baggie and a roll of medical tape I proceeded to attempt, yes, attempt, to cover my sheer plastic surgical bandage so I could take my first shower in a week. All attempts to securely cover the bandage failed and I was forced to take the shower nozzle down and take a "bird bath" style shower that was far less satisfying then you could even possibly dread.

I came out feeling barely "clean", with a mass of sopping wet plastic and tape, trying to recall a point in my life where I was able to shower freely and unencumbered by surgical tape or bandages.

So, Tuesday, I wrote myself a reminder on a post-it note and carried it around all day with me. On my way home from work I stopped to pick up WATERPROOF TAPE! Armed with the aforementioned tape, I was hell bent on cleaning myself in a proper manner. So, once again in the bathroom, armed with plastic baggie and tape I proceeded to AGAIN cover up my surgical dressing so I could take a shower. Did I mention I was only attempting again? Apparently, waterproof tape does not STICK to anything, even itself. Picture one plastic baggie, one layer of waterproof tape, covered with a layer of NON waterproof tape, and peeling at the edges. I found a box of band-aids and 10 such items later, added a layer of band-aids to the mix.

My second attempt at a proper shower was not much more successful then my first miserable attempt at the feat. I mentioned to Becky that I seem to recall a point in my life where showering was NOT such a huge ordeal and she agreed that it was actually in her lifetime with me as well.....LOL

So, going to the hospital yesterday for my follow-up with oncology, I begged them to take the tape off and at least replace it and to PLEASE give me some freaking tape to take a shower with!!!!!! I was quietly informed that it was not necessary, the bandages were coming off for good, the wounds were "healed" and I was free to get up and move about the shower freely! Did I mention angels sang at this point? I stopped on my way home and purchased acetone polish remover to try and take the tape goo off my skin and was only milady successful.

Last night I took the best damned shower I have taken in years. I am still somewhat covered in tape goo, but I seem to recall a point in a previous life where my body was goo free.

1 comment:

SnarkAngel said...

Funny how we take even the simplest pleasures for granted once we're truly deprived of them. Glad to hear you are back on shower duty, Babe! XOXO