Sunday, May 24, 2009

How I spent my holiday weekend

As Becky reported in the last comments, she was called Thursday to rush me to Hines VA hospital as that thing in my neck was a pain in my neck, every pun intended. I had spent Wednesday at the VA seeing my oncologist and it didn't start really hurting until Wednesday night. OF COURSE it started hurting AFTER I saw the doctor. So, halfway through my laundry Thursday, while speaking to my friend Holly on the phone, I casually mentioned that the thing in my neck hurt. She very quickly asked if it was red and irratated looking, because she said, "Those things become infected all of the time." So, after rushing to the mirror to note the red line going from the neck almost all the way to the port in my chest, I called Becky to rush me to the VA.

One word I never thought I would hear a nurse say upon seeing the red line in my neck, "YIKES!" One look from the doctor and they were on the phone with xray to take the port out of my neck and to admit me for IV antibiotics. They drew blood and attempted to grow blood cultures. Long and short, I was kept from Thursday to Sunday. YES, I was able to ride that gravy train into 3 whole days of hospital food and round the clock nursing care. I should not forget to mention 3 whole days of mega antibiotics. While nothing grew in the blood cultures (meaning it had not spread to my blood), it did grow from the end of the cath in my neck, so apparently, I caught it almost immediately. GO FAST REACTING BODY!

I got stuck with a needle more times then a pin cushion and when go back on Thursday for chemo they will install a pic line (sp?). YEAH, more needles and poking and inserting. So, if anyone was wondering, that is how I spent my holiday weekend.

1 comment:

SnarkAngel said...

Did you get my phone message about Bob and George's invitation? Don't know when you will feel up to it, after this horrific weekend, but keep me posted! XOXOXO