Friday, August 21, 2009

Oh the fun, oh the pain.

Apparently they never checked me back into the system when I returned on Monday so I wound up eating someone elses' supper. It took them an hour to replace the meal and he needed it much more then I did. I felt terrible.

Tuesday morning I was allowed to sleep in until 7:45, which was curious because the breakfast lady was always knocking at my door to tell me my breakfast was in the dining room. When I went to the dining room I discovered that there had never been a breakfast tray for me as they STILL had not indicated in the system that I was back. So, taking my hard earned bingo bucks, I went to the cafeteria and had a fairly decent veggie omelet and a large cup of real coffee.

Wednesday, I slept until 8:30 at which time I discovered I was in the system but that no one had bothered to come and get me. So, although I had had a tray delivered to the dining room, they had taken it away before I could get to it. Needless to say, I spent the last of my hard earned bingo VA bucks on another breakfast in the cafeteria. And then, the fun really began.

Having gotten myself back into the system and back on the meal plan, I was thrilled to run into the dentist to inform him that although I had an appointment to replace my filling the following week, the pain in my tooth and jaw had increased substantially and I was in a great deal of pain. Could he squeeze me in earlier? I was told to return at 11:00 am and they would take care of it then.

So, at 11:00am Wed. I was sitting in the dental chair. It took them about 20 minutes to find the Novocain and prep me for the drill. After questioning the location and the type of pain, the dentist then decided to x-ray the tooth. Turns out that in addition to needing a filling replaced, the tooth next to it is abscessed. I am now scheduled for a root canal next week.

The fun part is that, while the dentist gave me a dose of antibiotics to get me started, he never entered the order for more in the computer. When I bumped into him in the hall later, he said the nurses should be giving me a follow-up dose shortly. When said dose did not appear with my dinner time meds, the nurses informed me that there was no order in the computer, the dentist was gone, there was no dentist on call, and the on call doctor for the nursing home portion would not write me a new script without talking to the dentist to find out what he had given me and how much.

My second dose of antibiotics was at 11:30 on Thursday. Because I have new prescriptions that I do not have at home (to include the hormone therapy and now the antibiotics), I made sure I had all my meds with me before I left for the weekend. In my bag-o-meds, guess what was missing. Of course, the antibiotics. Having hunted down all my meds, completed radiation for the day, and having seen the doc...I busted out of there the second my sister pulled up!

The good news is that this all happened on their watch so I believe the root canal and possible crown are sans charge.

1 comment:

SnarkAngel said...

So nice to hear first hand how our VA takes care of the medical needs of our vets ... NOTTTTT!!!!! How many more weeks of this torture do you have to endure?!?!