Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A really REALLY?!? kind of week.

I was going to title this piece, "A need for sage advice or a moment of your thyme", but I decided to call it what it was.

Last Thursday, my landlord called to inform me that because I had not signed my extension agreement for my apartment, he was proceeding to find another tenant. I explained the entire radiation/nursing home/abscessed tooth situation and he said he was sorry to hear I was having a rough time, but he would consider my lease up as of Sept. 1. I told him I would look for the extension agreement and sign it and put it in the rent box in the building when I got home on Friday. So, reluctantly I signed the extension agreement and placed said agreement in the box. I can't really afford to stay without a roommate but I cannot afford to move either.

I love my apartment and while I moan about paying the rent alone, when you add up the costs to move, it might be easier and cheaper to stay put. Besides, I don't have the cash to pay another security deposit or pay for movers. Right?

Thinking this was all settled, as I had signed the extension, I was a bit unsettled, to say the least, when the building manager called me yesterday to inform me that they will begin showing my apartment immediately (meaning Wed.) for an October 1 occupancy date. I explained about the signed agreement and was informed that the landlord was denying he got it. I know that possession is 9/10th and the lawyer in me knows I will be ok for at least a few months, as they would have to start eviction proceedings to get me out, but it still makes me want to scream, "REALLY?!?" I will not be screaming anything as my jaw still hurts, but I am yelling it on the inside!

Oh yeah, and the Oct. 1 moving date is perfect to coincide with Jean's wedding date of Oct. 2. I will merely shake my head on this one. (singing) Should I stay or should I go?

1 comment:

SnarkAngel said...

You and I have already discussed this, so I won't post publicly. All I can say is: some landlords are scum.