Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ok, here's the deal...

The leaves are turning, the air is becoming more brisk, we are digging into our closets to find our gloves and winter hats, so it is safe to say it is that time of year again. The time when thoughts turn to stuffed birds, lighted trees, decking the halls, giving crap we can't afford to people we barely care about, but I digress.

I was thinking about Christmas cookies. I have all the candied fruit to make my usual batches of baked pieces of joy, but then it dawned on me, I don't have all the rest of the stuff. For those of you who are fans, and you know who you are, the deal is that I cannot afford to do any holiday baking this year. It isn't just the candied fruit, it is the 15 pounds of butter, 5 pounds of nuts, 4 dozen eggs, 20 pounds of sugar, you get the idea. Add to that the $30 or so I spend on containers and the $150+ I spend on postage, you can see that it is just not a doable thing this year.

So, unless someone wants to donate the $250+ to make holiday baking happen, it isn't going to happen. I am thinking I may try the stolen and fruit cake, but with the exception of one very special person, it won't be mailed anywhere and instead will be delivered to local friends only. Did I mention that when the computer crashed it took with it my master cookie list, master list of necessary ingredients and the mailing list/addresses? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE doing the holiday baking. I enjoy knowing that people are happy to see the boxes arrive in the mail. I will miss having a "normal" Christmas this year, but with the downturn of the economy comes the sad realization that grasshopper squares from Catherine may be a thing of the past. Just another reason to hate on the Bush administration!

1 comment:

SnarkAngel said...

Cut yourself some slack and forget about all the baking this year! You've got enough on your plate just trying to find a roomie, a job, and some sense of feeling normal again. This year, spend the holidays taking care of YOURSELF!