Sunday, September 27, 2009

But do you love me enough...

to help me move? It has been STRONGLY recommended that I consider just up and moving on Oct. 1. I should use my October rent payment as a deposit and first month's rent on a new place in the $600/month range. Of course, the person who is strongly suggesting this has no plans to help me physically move, just offered to drive me around town to view apartments. I am being told I am stubborn and too attached to my shit to stay put in an apartment I cannot afford to live in while I am unemployed and don't have a roommate. I agree. I also find the whole idea of packing, selling, moving, even half my shit, to be overwhelming and exhausting in nature. I would have LOVED to move Sept. 1 so as to never have to worry about the roommate issue again, but as most recall, I was in the nursing home for weeks before the first, making apartment hunting and moving a REALLY hard option.

Although I am not too worried about the landlord coming after me, I worry about getting approved to move into a new place. It is my understanding and experience that being unemployed and broke is the last thing a landlord wants to see on the application. There are some places that will let you move in with a non-refundable fee and no deposit, no application fee, but that still doesn't deal with the physical move itself. The cost of moving is never cheap and I have JUST ENOUGH to pay the rent and deposit with not a dime extra to pay for a moving van, let alone the movers to move my shit. It has been suggested I just pack my necessary stuff and move whatever my friends will help me move, and abandon the rest.

I understand that by staying I am simply putting off a possible eviction if I don't get a job AND a roommate, but is moving really, truly, honestly an option? Am I being stupid to stay? Does anyone love me enough to want to really move me in a week or three? Really? I am asking for feedback. The mere thought of all this makes me want to cry but I hate being broke in a place I cannot afford and only rented because I thought the boys were moving home. I love this place, but I am totally realistic in knowing that it won't get better by just postponing the possible inevitable.

3 comments:

SnarkAngel said...

I can help you move some essentials. Remember, my car is small but it IS a hatchback!

Becky said...

The question is what happens next month? If you're in possession, then you have time required for eviction proceedings. If you've given up your space then you're in trouble.
A lot can happen in a month-if nothing else you can box stuff up and make choices about it. Perhaps you could offer the other bedroom for less rent, which would at least get most of the needed income covered.
I will think good thoughts about your situation, but alas am as cash starved as yourself.

Just Catie said...

My thinking is to not pay Oct. rent and keep looking while I box and sell off furniture. I will also consider lowering rent to $575 or $550??