Saturday, November 15, 2008

Apparently, I am not dying

It appears that it is Stage 1, but they won't know exactly until they get in there and start cutting. They will biopsy one lymph node and then proceed from there. They do not think it is so invasive that they will be required to do a radical mastectomy, and assure me my boobs will look pretty much the same when they are done. I actually stated loudly, "WHAT?? I thought there would be a reduction as part of this whole thing." Apparently they have made such great strides they can preserve most of the breast tissue and then have me undergo radiation or chemo. I was not happy to hear that a reduction was not automatically part of the procedure.....LOL

So, after being told that the lumpectomy would be scheduled for Dec. 3 or 4 (what with next week being Thanksgiving and the fact I actually wanted to talk to the oncologist and the radiologist before having any of that done) means surgery in another 2.5 weeks. The surgeon did refer me to the plastic surgeon, who agreed that a 38GG was a bit much and that therefore, he would have no problem doing the reduction after the lumpectomy had healed. He reminded me that men liked really big breasts. I stated that there were times when too much of a good thing was just too much. After all, while a 24" penis might sound good in theory, that was simply too much. He laughed and agreed that he saw my point. When the reduction tissues healed, they would then do radiation or chemo.

Timeline = Surgery for lumpectomy on Dec. 3 or 4.
Reduction surgery 3 weeks after that.
Radiation or chemo 6 weeks after the reduction.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news on the not dying part. Sad news about not taking the girls down a size or two since that was your initial quest!

Just think, you will live, and so will the girls to flaunt on another cruise someday!

If not a cruise you can flaunt them on the boat when we are taking your recovery cruise. Which is it Barbados, Jamaica, Bahamas???????

Anonymous said...

I forgot, i will make YOU cookies for the Chemo.

SnarkAngel said...

Glad we got to do some moderate celebrating this evening, dear. See you in the a.m.

Anonymous said...

Cookies or biscotti for Christmas? We're doing the baking! :)

Just Catie said...

Glad to see my friends rally around me. Now, if I could only get the family to post so at least I knew they were reading it. NO to the cookies and baking for now, ask me again if they wind up doing chemo. BTW, I will put up a new post, but they are gonna do the reduction, the docs were just confused as to why I would want it (read male docs).

Anonymous said...

If they wind up doing the chemo you will want the cookies. But i know you aren't a cookie fan for recreational purposes lol.

And of course the Docs think bigger is better. This from the sex of our species that hopes and prays that size doesn't matter!

heh.