Friday, November 21, 2008

My Life on Hold.......Again (An Update)

Today is Friday, Nov. 21, 2008. So far this week, I have worked 6 hours total. That means my "paycheck" may pay one bill. My roommate has offered to help with the utilities (cats and candles do not mix), and while that is a nice thought, I had to explain that it was not the point. At 46, it sucks to be wondering if I am going to be needing help with the bills. One of the reasons I don't go out is because I don't want my friends thinking they have to buy the next round because I can't afford to pay for myself. My motto is, if you can't afford to buy your own, stay home! God forbid my mother is proven correct and I become an unfair financial burden on my family. I have been accused of obsessing about the money, but the truth is that my other choice is to obsess about the cancer. To worry about money is socially acceptable, like alcohol is a legal drug.

What we do know is that the surgery is scheduled for Dec. 4 at Loyola Hospital. The good news is that this is a Thursday so I have a 4 day weekend to recover. The bad news is that if we are back at work, I will miss 2 days of work and not one. I had a phone call yesterday about another possible job. The down side is that it pays less, and requires 50 hours a week of work. The upside is that this job, if it goes, appears to promise me an actual paycheck for the next 2-3 weeks. I did not mention the fact I might be scheduled for surgery, as it is better to ask forgiveness then seek permission............right??

2 comments:

SnarkAngel said...

Sitting on pins and needles myself, I actually brought up the subject of continued employment with my boss today. She is freaking out about the lack of business right now, and point blank said she does not want to lose me. I told her that I knew I would be needed through the first of the year, but after that? All she could say was that she would keep me on as long as she could, and that she would talk to her fiance about using me to assist with HIS business, in addition to hers, to keep me employed full time. His business seems to be taking off, so that could be a solution. Fingers crossed.

Just Catie said...

It will suck to be both of us, but I have plenty of food and booze!