Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Where is my BAILOUT??

What follows is the nasty gram I just sent to my congresswoman and my senator. They are bailing out rich white men, where is my share??

As we rally around the big banks and the auto industry to save them from financial ruin, I would like to remind those in office about the little people who have student loans because their parents could not afford to give them a free ticket to college.

I am 46, served in the US Navy, am a disabled vet, I owe $120k in student loans for my undergrad, law and MBA degrees, and have not been able to find a "real" job because I am overeducated and under experienced. I am currently working as a temporary attorney and the money is good, when I am working. I have not had a "real job" in years and the unemployment checks keep my head above water between jobs. I was a working single mother for years and was unable to pursue the kind of career that would have made me financially stable at the risk of ignoring the kids. I took pride that I was able to keep them happy, well fed, out of trouble and in good standing at school.

I was just diagnosed with breast cancer. I am blessed in that the VA will cover my care. However, because I still have a temp gig, I am not technically unemployed, and therefore, do not qualify for an unemployment deferment. Therefore, I will be trying to make $750 a month in student loan payments by working when I can, between bouts of surgery and chemo or radiation therapy.

The part that is the most painful is that when the boys first left to live with their father, who is still on active duty in the Navy and stationed in Japan, I tried to join the Peace Corps. One of the biggest bonuses with the Peace Corps is that they pay up to 33% of your student loan debt. I was told I could not join as I had to sit at home and wait for my boys to change their minds and decide to move home. I wish I could have made that up.

So now, I am faced with $120k in student loans, I don't have a "real job" and I have no health insurance, aside from coverage through the VA, no money in the bank and breast cancer. Where is my bailout??